Sunday, June 21

Modern Poetry

Vindicated (Vindicate (verb): 1. clear of blame or suspicion. 2. show to be right or justified) Artist: Dashboard Confessional* Album: Spiderman 2 OST Songwriter: Chris Carrabba (in case this link doesn't work, click here.)
Hope dangles on a string like slow spinning redemption winding in winding out the shine of it has caught my eye And roped me in so mesmerizing so hypnotizing I am captivated I am Vindicated I am selfish I am wrong I am right I swear I'm right I swear I knew it all along and I am flawed but I am cleaning up so well I am seeing in me now the things you swore you saw yourself So clear like the diamond in your ring cut to mirror your intentions oversized overwhelmed the shine of which has caught my eye And rendered me so isolated so motivated I am certain now that I am Vindicated I am selfish I am wrong I am right I swear I'm right I swear I knew it all along and I am flawed but I am cleaning up so well I am seeing in me now the things you swore you saw yourself So turn up the corners of your lips part them and feel my finger tips trace the moment fall forever defense is paper thin just one touch and I'd be in too deep now to ever swim against the current so let me slip away so let me slip away so let me slip away so let me slip against the current so let me slip away so let me slip away so let me slip away so let me slip against the current so let me slip away Vindicated I am selfish I am wrong I am right I swear I'm right I swear I knew it all along And I am flawed But I am cleaning up so well I am seeing in me now the things you swore you saw yourself Slight hope it dangles on a string like slow spinning redemption...
OK fine. This song isn't exactly new. But time doesn't dim its beauty. And to think, the lyrics are for an emo rock song (at least it's not a Britney Spears or Backstreet Boys song -- not that I have anything against them, much). More than several conventional poets (i.e. traditionalists i.e. uptight snobs) shun modern day music as perversion of poetry. Well, I can't say anything about Womanizer, but songs like Vindicated are certainly inspired, and the lyricists (in this case, singer-songwriter Chris Carrabba) belong up there with other legendary poets. Get this: Chris Carrabba wrote this song under 15 minutes, after watching a special screening of Spiderman 2**. Songs, like poems, do not necessarily have to rhyme. But there should be music within the words, and the words bring a message. To this day I don't get the message behind "Womanizer, Woman, Womanizer/You're a Womanizer, oh Womanizer oh". It's catchy and sticks in your head like gum under a desk, I'll give you that. So. Many songs out there are trash. But there are gems as well. To quote this song: So clear/Like the diamond in your ring/Cut to mirror your intentions/Oversized, overwhelmed/The shine of which has caught my eye. Well, ears, but let's not get technical here. But (there's a but) trashy songs make top of the charts, and Vindicated only made 103 in the Top 100* (so technically, the song didn't even make it in). It made number 2 in the Hot Modern Rock Tracks** chart, though. That should amount to something, right? Why are songs like this not considered mainstream? Why aren't they sung by all? And why aren't they acknowledged by poets? Does this reflect the flavor and art appreciation level of the MTV generation? So many questions left unanswered. Well, maybe one day I'll come up with a poem/lyric half as good as this. Then again, I'm more of a prose person. And a ranter. Poetry eludes me at best. In the meantime, do enjoy this wonderful song. Cheers. *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashboard_Confessional **http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindicated_(song)