Wednesday, August 12

Stuck

I have not been writing -- make that posting -- anything for ages now. I have several drafts that haven't made the cut. I've tried discipling myself to write at least 500 words every day. To be honest, night, actually. All the books on writing I read say that to be able to write well, one has to rise early, when one's surrounding is still on the verge of waking up, and write during those silent hours. Well, they're established writers. They don't have to face the traffic on a daily basis, and feel tired and sore all over when reaching home before sundown, and with frequent 36-hour work schedule. Yeah, yeah. Excuses. Anyway, I'd been good for the first 2 weeks. Writing wherever my character takes me. I didn't plot the path ahead. I wrote, I stopped, and the next night my character told me what he would do next. When I first read about this, I thought the authors of these writing books were winging it. Apparently it's true. Try it one day, you'll be surprised. But then I got stumped. My third week of writing became erratic. I missed a day or two. Fourth week: nada. At the moment I can't see where to go next. But I have to keep on writing. So what am I writing about? I don't want to jinx it by talking about it and coming out with nothing. But I abandoned my initial attempts at writing contemporary literary fiction, which English Literature aficionados of Malaysia take particular interest in. To hell with trying to please others, writing something that has the vaguest chance of being published locally. I'm writing what I love, for myself, and also to keep Tita at the edge of her seat, sending her daily chapters ending with cliffhangers. But, as I said, I'm stuck! Plus, I suck at being disciplined. I'm a true Libra, sign of the Air. So, for the time being, I'm reading City of Glass by Cassandra Clare. It's the third installment of The Mortal Instruments. She's getting better at this. I can read her confidence, her fluency of flow, he wiser use of similes and metaphors. Still lots of adverbs though. But this story isn't for conservatives. Nope.